> Maybe stupid,but not old.  ;-)   Sorry this happened to you,you are going to
> need a lot of patience and you have the good friends already.  I did
> something a few years ago on a electric treadmill;

i didn't do anything i shouldn't have. just got on it(after 30 min  on
treadmill), worked for 5 mins, and got off. no accidents. according do
Elizabeth, my dr, this is quite a common injury from using the stairmasters.
seems the pressure causes the knee cap to chip or crack.
I won't be using either machine again. i'll stick tot he coross trainer which is
zero joint impact.