I've listened to lots of Joni this year, mostly live stuff. One of the songs that
Joni's continued to perform over the years is "Just Like This Train", as she says she
just enjoys playing that opening riff.

Anyway, as I listen to this song I take it in almost like "listening" to a painting.
The images are so detailed an vivid in this song, particularly in this passage:

"And I found this empty seat
In this crowded waiting room
Everybody waiting
Old man sleeping on his bags
Women with that teased up kind of hair
Kids with the jitters in their legs
And those wide, wide open stares
And the kids got cokes and chocolate bars
There's a thin man smoking a fat cigar"

I feel like I can really SEE all these people and these scenes. Wonder which Joni
songs conjure up specific images for y'all...

One of the joys of Joni's music for me, I would say, and the benefit of her bringing a
visual artist's sensibilities to her music.

Bob

NP: Bob Dylan, Hurricane Carter Benefit