> Yes, Lily would be good.  She is one heck of an actress.

Lili Taylor is underrated but for anyone who wants a dose of what she can
do, see her in Abel Ferrara's THE ADDICTION where she played an thropology
grad student who moonlights as a vampire! She was also great as Valarie
Solanas in I SHOT ANDY WARHOL. She is luminous in small films like
HOUSEHOLD SAINTS and she gave a certain class to this Mel Gibson film
called RANSOM. Yes, she is the actress who comes close to being Janis
Joplin.

(Anyone else
> noticed how actresses now are called actors.  The word actress is out.
> Is that feminism or what?  What caused the change?)

I heard in the linguistic/art studies academic circles that as the English
language has inherent sexism (because what language would say: "everyone
must submit HIS paper..." among others), they are trying to do away with
the words that expressly distinguish males from females (in journal
articles which pride themselves as stalwarts in political correctness, even
a woman is spelled "wommon" while women is now "womyn"). Since almost all
other words that used to denote the female equivalent (authoress, poetess,
aviatrix, etc.) were now rarely used, some are saying that "actress" will
now be called actor, such that in the Oscar race, it comes out like: Best
Performance by a Female Lead Actor.

Haven't heard of
> difranco. going to have to check her out.

A friend spent the weekend at home and he played Ani Di Franco no end. He
was playing this ep of hers, and like you, I am going to check her out
soon. But I was told that her label (Righteous Babe?) is too indie that it
might not come to the Philippine shores at all.

>  Said
>> > Jennifer Tilly. She better not be Janis.  Ugh!  No way.
>> IIIICKKKK! i hope she plays a hot dog vendor, or some
>> equally unimportant role. i can't get over her voice
>> or lack of acting ability.

I agree, but I also believe that there are ceratin roles that suit
that "whiny" voice. She was outstanding in Woody Allen's BULLETS OVER
BROADWAY and she convinced me in BOUND that her character, Violet, is worth
dying for (in this case, Gina Gershon).

later all,
Joseph
np: John Pizzarelli "I Like Jersey Best"