On February 6 in Joni Mitchell History:

1974: Joni performs at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. She introduces the song
'For the Roses' with this story (transcribed by Bob Muller):

"All my life I've had kind of a battle going, a running duality between the spiritual
& the sensual, you know, and I decided it was time the spiritual won out, at least for
a little while...I looked around and my place had gotten kinda Tchoctky'ed up,
over-opulent, and I thought that I had strayed off of some kind of path, like I was
losing something, I don't know...

So I trekked back up to Canada, bought myself a piece of land, decided to put my money
where my mouth was, get myself genuinely back to the garden, or at least give it a
try, you know?

I've always been fascinated by the story of Adam & Eve, not because that was when
women became a lower class of citizen, you know, I mean, (applause) No, no, the story
never meant that to me, I thought that it was a beautiful poem written by a guy with a
lot of future projection. You know, a lot of times it's interpreted by evangelists and
different clerical people that I've talked to, as a place that existed a long time ago
somewhere along the outskirts of the Nile or Jerusalem, something that disappeared,
and I'd always thought it was kinda the story of the beginning of knowledge, you know?
But I guess I'm side-tripping, running off at the mouth here, but...

What it always kinda meant to me was, that, Man, the Beauty of Man, was his
superiority while he still maintained his humility, which was before he *realized*
that he had a virtue. Because as soon as you've got a virtue and you KNOW about it,
it's gone, forget it...(laughter)

So, he began as a tender of the creatures, not as a superior, he was sort of gentle
with them, then one day he woke up and he looked at himself, and said 'Goddamn, they
got better plumage, and furs, and everything', so he started to drape himself.

Now I like to drape myself with those sort of things from time to time, but sometimes
it makes me feel guilty, and that's what happened this particular morning. I woke up
with a treacherous case of middle class guilt, so I decided to move myself to some
deserted area, and grow myself a garden, and get back to it! Even an artichoke in a
terrarium, anything...(laughter)

My house was in the process of being built, I took a lot of hard furniture, it was
like a house of correction I was building, everything was hard, you had to sit
straight up in it, you know? I was sort of working on the Thoreau theory too, you
know, like one chair for myself and one for society...no, three chairs, one for
solitude, one for company, and one for society, that's right....

So I moved back up there and I was staying in this little cabin, and one night I heard
what sounded to me like applause, it was like this clapping outside my door, you know,
so I stepped out onto the steps, and....took a bow (Joni laughs)....(applause)....I
stepped out and I looked up and right in front of my door was this tree called the
Arbutus tree, which I think is really my favorite all-time tree...it's got a really
smooth, orange bark, and really smooth rubbery kind of leaves, and it's a very
independent tree, just
has totally its own will, you can't...you can't tame it, you know? Like there's this
street in Vancouver called Arbutus Street, and they tried to transplant a whole lot of
Arbutus trees to line it, you know, just like Elm street's always lined with elms, and
maple street's lined with maples...so they put in all these arbutus trees, and they
just said 'forget it', you know, just kamikaze'd out......."
More info: http://www.jonimitchell.com/Fame.html
Search the "Today" database at http://www.jmdl.com/today