Entertainment Weekly Magazine (3/8/02) has a great half-page picture
(caricature by John Cuneo--minus a cigarette!  I almost didn't know it was
her!) which talks about the upcoming Joni documentary.  In their Hear & Now
section on p. 72, "Blue Movie -- After setting her last three feature films
in a musical milieu, Allison Anders (Grace of My Heart) is making a
documentary about -- surprise -- a musician:  Joni Mitchell.  Anders is
shooting the recording sessions for Mitchell's next album, which finds the
singer revisiting vintage originals like "Circle Game" with the London
Symphony Orchestra -- and pairing with "day players" like Ry Cooder, Wayne
Shorter, Billy Preston, Herbie Hancock, and (tentatively) Neil Young.
 "Some of it is material she did as a young girl, with a soprano voice and
an acoustic guitar, now with an orchestra and an alto," says Anders.  "It's
so interesting to hear these same songs with wisdom.  Not that she wasn't
wise before, but it's like 'I thought I was on to something then, and now I
*know* I am.'"

Reporting from San Diego,
Lindsay

PS -- I tried to find it on their web site, but couldn't.