I always open doors for people.  It's just something I do....and I've had a
few men give me a funny look, like they can't step through a door opened by
a woman!

Kerry

Reuben wrote:

This reminded me...
Once a few years ago my younger sister and I were in Manhattan shopping.  As
we entered a department store a woman fell in to step with us, and when we
got to the door, I opened it and stepped aside to let her (and my sister
in).
 I can't help it...it was ingrained from an early age that you open the door
for a woman if the situation presents itself.  The woman tore into me with a
fury and told me that she was capable of doing it by herself, and that I
shouldn't assume that she wanted me to open the door for her, etc. etc.  She
was quite rude.  I was shocked, and didn't respond immediately, and my
sister
stepped up and pulled the door handle away from her and sort of pushed me
into the store, calling over her shoulder: "Excuse my brother, ma'am.  He
thought you were a lady."  Very funny episode.

Reuben