Jim wrote:
>Gil asked:
> > Jim, did I read you right? Is McGuinn's version of "Up to Me" truly an
>early draft of "Tangled Up in Blue"? Because the final versions of either
>song are poles apart, and the extant earlier (and even later) versions of
>"Tangled Up in Blue" betray no connection to "Up to Me". Please clarify. >
>
>Oops! I'm so sorry. You are quite right, Gil, and I apologize for not
>double-checking my memory before sending that post.
>
>Instead of "Tangled Up In Blue," I should have written "You're Gonna Make Me
>Lonesome When You Go." Dylan set aside "Up To Me" during the sessions for
>"Blood On The Tracks," preferring to use the melody and the chord structure,
>albeit with some revisions, as his vehicle for his lyrics to YGMMLWYG. He
>was still writing the album as he was recording it, as is evident by
>examining the outtakes and the session chronology.

Almost right. See my reply to your next post.

>A fascinating and worthwhile excerise is to listen to the BOTT outtakes (for
>example) while reading the corresponding chapters in Paul Williams'
>excellent "Bob Dylan: Performing Artist, Vol. 1."

Small-World Dept.: I proofread Volume 1, and I'm quoted on the back of the
dust jacket of the first edition.

>I'm currently in the
>middle of a comprehensive study of Dylan's career to date, using the
>Williams books as my guides. He writes wonderfully in terms of how specific
>performances (including studio takes) move him or not, personally speaking,
>and gets deeply into the various outtakes and concert performances which are
>available to collectors.

He has (or, perhaps, had) more of the same in Crawdaddy, which was still
published a year or so ago. However, I was annoyed by his analysis of
Dylan's 5-night stay at wherever it was in L.A. a few years ago. Few of us
can afford that privilege, although of course now almost all of it is
available if you hunt a bit.

>I began last summer with "The Minnesota Tapes"
>(1961), and am now in the middle of Dylan's overtly Christian period (1980,
>at present), listening to the unreleased songs recorded for what was to have
>been the follow-up to the album "Saved."

The boot entitled "Between Saved and Shot" has some revealing stuff.

Gil
NP Lead Balloon, from Taming the Tiger