(Boston) Jim wrote:

> > So close, Jim. Perhaps you're thinking of "Call Letter Blues" on THE
>BOOTLEG SERIES, which is a note for note replicant of "Meet Me in the
>Morning." >
>
>I do remember that! It may even be the same backing track altogether, if I'm
>recollecting correctly (this time).

Apparently "Meet Me in the Morning" *was* dubbed over a "Call Letter Blues"
backing track (but not the one on THE BOOTLEG SERIES).

>(Man, I've listened to *so* much Bob in the past 8 months!)
>
>But, really ... check out "Up To Me" on "Biograph" and think "Shelter From
>The Storm." I'll bet you agree that UTM was set aside in favor of using the
>melody and chord structure for the latter lyrics. I regret not pointing to
>the correct song in the first place.

Per Clinton Heylin:

That Dylan was considering an altogether more downbeat final note seems
borne out by the recording dates for "Up to Me." Originally recorded as a
solo acoustic performance at the very first BLOOD ON THE TRACKS session,
Dylan only returned to the song at the last session, having finally figured
out a vocal delivery that conveyed all the lexicons of remorse he might be
feeling (the version cut on the sixteenth has very few vocal idiosyncracies
-- he even pronounces "identity" like anyone else would). The lyrics to "Up
to Me" fit previous patterns of Dylan closers -- "If we never meet again,
baby remember me ..." Its musical motifs are also largely a continuation of
BLOOD ON THE TRACKS's penultimate song, "Shelter from the Storm." However,
Dylan decided to stick with "Buckets of Rain," featuring some of his most
controlled picking, to conclude one of his most musical albums.

>And Gil ... before I let you go ... I'm delighted and impressed to have met
>the proofreader of Volume 1 of Williams' "Performing Artist" series. I'm
>sure you're proud of your involvement, as I would be. (I don't remember
>seeing a single typo, either!)

I just threw that in there to throw you off-balance. I'm prouder having
gotten a free copy of the book out of it.

>You were absolutely right about "Between
>Saved and Shot," by the way ... that's the boot I'm listening to now.
>
>If I have some questions as I continue to explore Dylan's career in depth,
>may I call on you from time to time?

Of course you may, although you might want to off-list, as this might turn
into the Dylan NJC group if we carry this on too far.

Gil