David Lahm said:

<<Nina Simone, Dory Previn and Abbey Lincoln are all respectable talents as
songwriters, but to suggest that they reach the same level as Joni Mitchell
is, IMO,
simply ludicrous.>>

Yeah, I thought that was an odd bunch to compare to Joni.  Love Nina Simone
when I'm in the mood, but isn't she kind of a one-note samba?  Same with
Dory Previn, kind of lyrically funny in a low-key way (I liked the one about
the woman who jumped off the Hollywood Sign, didn't know whether to laugh or
cry, but got the feeling Dory didn't care), but her tunes were sort of not
there; and somebody help me -- I've never heard of Abbey Lincoln -- can
someone give a brief CV of her, suggest something to listen to -- or even if
she's worth it?

Thanks,

Walt