> Also, Whitney's "I Will Always Love You" makes me want to dive head first
> into the nearest wood chipper. I once had a severe panic attack in a
Hallmark
> store when that song was blaring over the PA. I couldn't get out of there
> fast enough! I'd love to know what Dolly Parton (who wrote the song)
really
> thinks of Whitney's version.
>
>     --Bob

I don't know what Dolly *really* thought of it, but Whitney's take on the
song sold a gazillion copies, the proceeds of which generated a hefty
writer's royalty for Parton.  So, in a sense, so many listeners can't be
wrong.  Moreover, Dolly has never struck me as a harbinger of that which is
pleasing to the ear.

A captivating image, nevertheless: Smurphy enjoying a serene sunny Sunday in
the tranquil aisles of his corner Hallmark store, gently fingering "hand
painted" porcelain figurines with oversized eyes.  Then, just as he's about
to settle on a greeting card that strikes the appropriate wry, yet sweetly
sardonic tone, horror ensues!  The music emanating from the speakers,
heretofore as enjoyable as it is ignorable, increases in volume tenfold,
making manifest his worst auditory nightmare!  "Dear God, death by anything
but Whitney screeching her hope that he has all he dreams of" he prays as he
makes a desparate, last ditch dash for the door, narrowly avoiding the
onslaught of the refrain.  I can see how it's enough to drive you crazy if
you let it.  A definitive Zantac moment.  ;-)

Seriously though.  Reminds me of one of the funniest bits I've ever seen on
Saturday Night Live.  David Spade on Weekend Update, reviewing the movie
"The Bodyguard" starring Whitney Houston, which featured her version of the
song as the movie's theme.  Spade totally disses the movie and the acting
before ending the commentary with "...and ayyyyeeeayyyyyy want my money
back!"

-Julius, who will be at his own Hallmark store first thing in the morning
seeking a "forgive-me-Bob-I-couldn't-help-myself" card :-)