I would like to tactfully interject on this subject.

As a singer, I feel that Whitney really does have a good and powerful voice,
but am not sure how she keeps her throat in shape or if the way she sings is
technically correct or healthy for the voice.

Whitney's style has had a direct influence on how I chose "not" to record my
songs. In the studio, we continually discussed how we would not get overly
"frilly" with notes like Whitney. What happened to me is that I began to get
stifled artistically and afraid to interpret the song for fear I would sound
like her. It created quite a conflict in me. In my version of "Eleanor Rigby"
which was the first song I recorded, I did wail a little bit at the end
because my heart was trying to express the loneliness and the emptiness of
people living such a mundane existence. I truly had a purpose for expression.
Though it may have been slightly flawed in execution, the purpose was there.
The problem is that now I am singing to avoid sounding like Whitney Houston
which doesn't work artistically. My thoughts are; whatever sounds one
vocalizes should be done from the heart and to express oneself artistically.
Maybe people are sensing that the sounds Whitney vocalizes are not coming
from the heart and therefore, may not be true artistic expression. (though
her fans will beg to differ)

I grew up listening to gospel choirs and hearing singers vocalize with
absolute freedom. Sometimes, it's been a little much, but I have appreciated
the depth of spirit that accompanies the singer's voice. Some of Patti
Labelle's high notes are a little much for me, but many times, I get
goosebumps listening to her sing, because I can feel her soul in her voice. I
don't hear in Whitney what I hear in Patti's voice. I'll stop there because a
musician friend told me to always watch what you say about other artists; you
never know when you might appear with them. I respect Joe Elliott of Def
Leopard's screaming voice as much as Luther Vandross' sultry one. For me,
each is good in it's own way. I guess I have to hear the soul of a person
come through in the voice. That's also why I love the scruffy-voiced Bob
Dylan as well. There are some who would say his voice is like nails on a
chalkboard. I just hear his soul and I love it.

Sherelle