well, i could certainly atttest to this as well. i've
been a HUGE john gorka fan forever. when i got my
first very own guitar at the ripe old age of 16, the
guy at the local music store gave me two tickets to
see gorka live at a small club in salt lake. my mom
and i went, and we were just blown away. it let me
into the whole world of contemporary folk, christine
lavin, patty larkin, david wilcox, and so on. it was
an invaluable experience, and i will always love john
gorka.
its funny, because i was unpacking a box of old photo
albums last night, and came across a picture of me
grinning cheesily with john and christine lavin after
a show at the bottom line in nyc, like 11 eleven years
ago when i moved out there the first time. its a great
picture, with christine lavin making this goofy face.
on another note, i saw john gorka on the world trade
center plaza, just a couple of weeks before the shit
went down. lucy kaplansky opened up, and came out and
sang with him later in the show. i was amazed at how a
man can still move me to tears and laughter, just as
you said kate, after having seen him a million times
and knowing every song by heart. his live performances
are just...incredible. and this was a very special
one, a special memory.
alison e. in slc.