> > Americans plain and simple love their fast cars and big SUVs.
>
>Because they are agressively marketed to them

So is Mcdonald's, but I still hate the big mac.  In all
seriousness,Americans associate so much with cars.  (and to think about it,
not only Americans:Joni has quite a few car mentions in her songs) Big and
fast....cars are so tied to who we are.  I think they represent
freedom,ideas and just so much.  And to try and regulate what kind of cars
engineers can create and manufacturers can produce.. is a big mistake.  And
I don't think will happen in our lifetime anyway.

> > These
> > electric cars that only go 50mph are not feasible and are ugly to boot.
>And
> > believe me, if I had children I would have a SUV because they are safe.
>
>Not that safe. Although you have all that steel and ballast, because
>SUV's are so high off the ground, they are pretty easy to roll if you
>turn sharply at high speed-for instance, avoiding road debris.
>You would be better off with something like a Volvo, which has
>a strong steel framework built around the passenger compartment.

I should have said safer.  I use to have a jeep and was cautious about it
being prone to roll overs.  It did have roll bars though.  Volvos are #1 for
safety.  But just not my cup of tea.  Too expensive for my bank account
anyway.

I found your post very interesting on electric and hybrid cars:Much food for
thought and some interesting little tidbits.  Thanks!!

Bree