>"I learned the truth at seventeen
>that love was meant for beauty queens
>and [something] with clear-skinned smiles
>who married young and then retired...

>*Any* lines at random from this song are as brilliant and poignant as
>these.
>The feelings this song inspired in me and every other geek of either
sex,

All former Geeks and Geekettes unite!  I played the very uncool clarinet in
high school.(only to make my father happy because he was a jazz clarinetist)
   I had zits and wanted to be an actress.(or a nun)  Oh yes,I liked Janis
Joplin!  It was very hard for me too....I had two older sisters that were
popular,cheerleaders,the nuns couldn't stand me and loved them etc..this
made it all the rougher.

>when it came out in '75 (I think), are hard to describe -- my god, there's
>someone who not only knows how I felt at that age

Walt,I believe At Seventeen came out about  1967 or 1968.  I know I was in
grade school.  It wasn't until years later that I could relate to
this song.

>schticks -- and when she sang "At Seventeen", he was clearly moved!!  It
>occurred to me only then that *Stern* had, of course, been a geek in high
>school, too.

Underneath all the shit.....Howard is an emotional basket-case.  Very
sensitive,he just tries to hide it.  But it does show through every once in
a great while.  I missed this one with Janis Ian.

Former Geekette, Bree
(once one.. always one?)