> Saw Joan Baez last night and she did a gorgeous Jesse. Still one of my
favorite
> songs.
>
> Jerry

Roberta Flack also did a beautiful, slow, aching version of this song on her
'Killing Me Softly' lp.  And speaking of Roberta Flack, what ever became of
her?  I remember when 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' came out, I
thought it was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever heard.  I recently
bought 'First Take' on cd.  The funny thing is, I must have picked up the
vinyl version of this record dozens of times back when I was a teen and
toyed with the idea of buying it and never did.  What was the matter with
me?  There was a thread about great debut albums recently and I think 'First
Take' belongs on that list.  A gorgeous voice, great songs and such soulful,
expressive singing.  I did buy 'Killing Me Softly' on vinyl and always loved
that record.  But it seems Roberta kind of faded into the woodwork.  I do
remember 'Feel Like Making Love' and thinking 'why did she record this
dreck?'  Did her choice of material go downhill?  Did people just lose
interest?  Anyone know what happened to her?

And back to the great debuts thread, did anyone mention 'Rickie Lee Jones'?
I'm sure someone did, but just in case.

Mark E in Seattle