Although I did not listen to or get "Song to a Seagull" until I purchased first Blue
and then
LOTC, it was still in the relatively early years 72/73.  I loved the clarity and the
climbs from
high to low and low to high, in Joni's voice those days.  It is a sound skill that I
do miss in
Joni in these later years.  But there are new voice techniques and still some climbs,
although the
highs are obviously lower. My favorite era was Blue, FTR and C&S.  Then it's very
close between
STAS/Clouds/LOTC and MOA/HOSL/Hejira.

Regardless STAS is probably one of the top 10 debut albums of all time.

Kate Bennett wrote:
I felt the way when I first heard Shawn Colvin's Steady On.

I did too, Kate.  And I can remember exactly where I was.  I was in a Rose record
store thumbing
through albums, when I heard the very beginning of "Shotgun Down the Avalanche."  My
best friend
and I were digging in opposite bins of eachother and our heads rose up from the bins
and we ran to
the front desk where they played the music.  Only midway in the run did we even hear
her voice!
Of course we were then told that it was Shawn Colvin and we both immediately purchased
the album.

The other albums that come to mind for me are of course - Ricki Lee Jones and an album
called
Ancient Hearts by Tanita Tikaram.  I wonder what ever happened to Tanita, she was
still in her
teens when she released her debut.  And that was over 10 years ago, at least. Her most
memorable
hit was "Twist in My Sobriety."

Peace,
Susan