Two great threads - got me to thinking round and round.

While I tend to agree with Fred about the melody thing being more special in
her earlier work, I would offer some words of caution to him. No, it is not
heretical in any way to critique and even criticize. However, as I confessed
several times to this list in the past, there can be some danger in doing so
in Joni's case ;-)

For example, while I was so mesmerized by her melody lines and
personal/confessional/romantic lyrics of the first 6 albums, I rejected
Hissing and Hejira, which were very different from her earlier works in those
two respects. (I would say "initially", but the rejection lasted over 20
years). Wrong !  Worse, I was openly critical of her shift in emphasis toward
the arrangements and accompaniment and jazz influence and subject matter
beyond (a bit cooler, a bit more third personal, less idealistic than) the
confessional romanticism of her earlier works. Although I was defensive
enough to caveat my criticism with words to the effect of "I am sure she is
just going off in other directions because of her talent, but she is losing
me", in my heart at that time I did not think she was as good at the new
genres as she was in her earlier ones. Wrong again !  Later, I bought WTRF
and DED - even worse, I thought - and passed on the others altogether. Wrong
again !  Then, about 5 years ago I started picking her "later" work up again
(she was always #1 with me, if only for her first 6 albums). First with TI,
which inspired me to try NRH, then I gave Hejira and HOSL another chance and
....I was confronted with the awful truth of what I had said 20 years
earlier.  Couldn't (still can't) erase it from my conscience. Better not to
try.  Turns out my tastes and I needed to grow up a bit. In her later works
she has done more with harmonies, counterpoint, social commentary, and
instrumentation than her earlier reliance on melody and single instrumental
accompaniment. One need not prefer it - but I for one have learned not to
hold my opinion of her work in higher regard than Joni's own opinion of it.
If she thinks it's good, and I do not, she as almost certainly right :-)

Speaking of which, if she likes Sex Kills (and I agree that it is obvious
that she does), I would be even more hesitant to dismiss it. Watch out - its
virtues may sneak up on you from behind some day and goose you ;-). As a
second point of caution, if Dylan (not one of my favorites) was effusive
about it, it probably is a pretty good piece of lyrical writing. (Then there
is my wondering whether his rare praise for that work lifted it higher in
Joni's esteem - how dare I go there ?)

On the subject of honesty, I agree with Bob M that Jericho is a brutally
honest song. I have expressed my view in the past that in Jericho's case it
exposes some of her failings in the area of love - shows her warts, if you
will. But her honesty is an integral part of her greatness as an artist - I
accept her warts, and respect that she shows them to me - er, us.  ;-)

Still on the subject of honesty, sometimes she takes me in her third person
work to places I am/have been/ wish I were not. Songs I would rather not
live. It may not have gotten me out of them, but it has helped me to keep
them in better perspective and deal with them with better balance.

You could have been more
Than a name on the door
On the 33rd floor in the air
More than a credit card
Swimming pool in the back yard

While you still have the time
You could get away and find
A better life, you know the grind
Is so ungrateful
Racing cards, whiskey bars (bridge cards, chord bars, four pars)
........No one cares who you really are

I know it gets hard
Keeping the wheels turning
And the wife she keeps the key
She's so pleased to be
A part of the arrangement

You could have been more
You could have been more
You could have been more

To those of us for whom this song has held up pretty well over the years
(sometimes crossing generations within a family), I must say it is quite a
haunting piece of work - for a 25 year year old to have written. Not exactly
right , perhaps (or is it ?) - but too close for comfort. And this is perhaps
#50 on my list of favorites of hers.

In a world where nothing is right and nothing is wrong (?) or where
everything on our side is right and everything on their side is  wrong (?),
Borderline is a pretty timely (timeless ?) piece of writing - although I
think it is below her norm as a piece of music. I may be wrong about that
last criticism, however  ;-)

Bob S.