Hi Warren, just for you, Cassandra's quote that includes Joni Mitchell.  It is in
reference to the high school she attended after "desegregation".
" One of the benefits of going to that school was the view it allowed me inside of
another world.  That view, among other things, introduced me to different music...I
got the part of Dorothy in the high school musical of The Wizard of Oz.  That was the
beginning of reaching out to these people and being able to talk to them.  Music was
the way we came together.  We talked about music...We traded albums at school.  I
remember hearing James Taylor and then really getting into Joni Mitchell..."
Cassandra's part in the TNT tribute was one of the highlights of the show, I thought.
I am not familiar with her work, though, from your description, I am definitely
intrigued.
Jenny
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: thanks for sharing the quotes from " solo: women singer
songwriter's in
their own words." my only disappointment was your teasing me with cassandra
wilson's name and not including a quote ! i discovered cassandra in 1993
while browsing through the jazz section at my neighborhood record store. i
had never really heard anything by her but anyone who was gutsy enough to
attempt a cover of joni's " black crow " deserved a listen. i promptly bought
the cd and have been hooked ever since. i think the thing i appreciated most
about cassandra, besides her glorious voice, is her knack for taking songs
from other genre and turning them into brillant jazz. ( ie. van morrison's "
tupelo honey," U2's " love is blindness," neil young's " harvest," robbie
robertson's " the weight," bob dylan's " shelter from the storm," the old
monkees song " last train to clarksville " by boyce and hart - she made that
into quite the stunner, and many more...sorry i got carried away ! ) anyway
i would love to hear a bit of a quote from the new " queen of jazz " on
joni's influence, i would also love to hear cassandra tackle some more of
joni's music !!! thanks for the great post jenny...

wanting more joni,
warren keith

p.s. i trust you caught cassandra on the TNT tribute to our joan !