Marianne,

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  It was probably a little long, and a little
rambling, but that's the danger of writing from a hotel room, while out of
town on business.  Not much else to do, so why not dust off the old keyboard,
and bore the hell out of my fellow JMDL'ers with my reminesing.

Speaking of which, last night, I decided to re-enact that evening by playing
those three albums in their entirety.  It seemed only appropiate that I
actually listen to the original albums (not the cd's), so it required a
little set up.  I have a really nice turntable on my upstairs stereo, but
I've recently set up a killer system in the basement, so I decided to finally
make the effort and move the turntable downstairs.

I then opened a bottle a wine, little a few candles, turned on the lava lamp
(yes - I still have a lava lamp!), and began listening to Madman Across the
Water.  Very nice indeed.  I've always loved Madman, though it's not an Elton
John I typically grab when I'm in the mood to listen to him, so this was
great to hear.  Earlier in the evening, I saw Sir Elton on the Carson Daly
show, and he talked briefly about how special the Tiny Dancer scene in Almost
Famous was to him.  That was my favorite scene in the movie, so to be
listening to Tiny Dancer later that night was great.  Indian Sunset was
another highlight.   ....And peace to this young warrior, comes with a bullet
hole!  Great, powerful stuff.

The Yes Album was particularly nice to hear.  I probably hadn't heard that
album in ten years or more.  I don't have it on cd, and just sort of
forgotten about it.  It was a real treat to listen to.  I particularly like A
Venture.  Thanks to the list for all of this talk about Yes.  It got me
motivated to listen to this group again - tonight I'm planning on listening
to Fragile.

Before playing Blue, I decided to check out tv for a second - I wanted to get
the basketball scores.  In turning it on, the set was turned to HBO, and
guess what had just started - the Back to the Garden episode of Six Feet
Under.  I missed maybe 10 or fifteen minutes, but I decided I had to watch
this because of all the favorable comments the list has made about this show.
 I am so happy I did.  What an enjoyable hour of television this was.  And
the final scene where the mother was singing along to Woodstock, and then the
plaintive cries of Joni at the end of Woodstock playing over the credits was
just incredible.  Another big thank you.  This show should not be missed if
you can help it.

Finally it was time for Blue.  By now the bottle of wine was empty, it was
after 1 in the morning, and my eyes were getting heavy, but I was determined
to complete my little salute to 1971.  The first little treat was pulling the
album out of it's jacket, to discover the blue paper dust cover.  I'm not
sure why this pleased me, but it did.  Cd's are nice and convenient, but
there is something magicallabout vinyl, and the packing this format could
support.

Anyway, listening to Blue was great (isn't it always?).  Little Green and
River stood out in particular.  I tried to recall what was going through my
mind 30 some years ago, and while I recall the event very clearly, the
emotions are kind of a blur.

Seventeen wasn't exactly the happiest of times in my life, but somehow
through music I was able to find solace when I couldn't find it anywhere
else.

And nobody's music does that better than Joni's.

Jack