I've been reading Positively 4th Street & love the quote from Tom Rush (the
first to record one of Joni's songs btw) talking about the music he was
inspired by "It sounded real--it sounded like real people playing wooden
things and without a lot of prettying up and fancy arrangements and
gold-lame outfits."

Tom (a part time resident of Santa Barbara) is playing at SOhO on May 19...

 >>I'm commenting today on Fred Simon's post.  While I am hesitant
 to admit this because there are some very wise and talented
 people right here on this list who love the VG-8, I have to
 agree.  Fred, you're talking like an audiophile here.  This idea
 of tiny variations being missing is very hard to describe but
 it's real to me....<<