I opened an Express Mail package containing my brand new (off e-Bay) copy of
the Turbulent Indigo songbook.  It's been some time since I looked closely
at the open tunings, not spending much time with my guitar these days.  I
was really shocked to see how far afield of the earlier open chords the
later compositions are tuned.  I guess I began to see a real change with
Hejira, but had lost track.  Frankly, my guitars were contorting into
rediculous shapes and without my own personal technician I just gave up
trying to keep up.  Yes I do appreciate the tuning flexibility (in THEORY)
of the VG8 if not its textural attributes.

That barb thrown, I still wonder how, in the composing process Joni decides
what notes to tune each string for each composition.  Paging through the
Turbulent Indigo book, I saw some wildly interesting choices, even a bit of
humor if one even allows oneself to consider the possibility that "Lead
Balloon" was written to be played on a tuning derived from ALL FLATS
purposely.  How amusing.  (No pun intended.)

I finally came to the conclusion that for TI, she probably just picked
Nietzche up and let him walk across the piano keyboard.  Whatever sounded is
what she wrote in for the day.  WHICH would explain why Taming The Tiger is
written largely in an open C chord tuning.  The tuning muse was MIA.

Truly, has Joni ever explained her process in choosing her open tunings?
Does the poetry lead such choices?  Does she choose the tunings before she
works out the melodies, indeed even before the poem is written?  Is it
system-less, and all the more wonderous for it?  Any way it's done, it works
a treat.

CC

I hear you in the water and the wiring in the walls. -- JM