I just listened to Shades again, and there is something disturbing about the
mix, but I don't think it's the bass.  I think that Joni's vocals are mixed
too softly, especially on the first verse.  Particularly coming off the heels
of Don't Interupt...where her vocals are right up front and the percussive
nature of the instruments makes the sound jump out of the speaker.
Now, does anyone notice a static noise in Car On a Hill during the
doppler-effect break in the middle of the song.  I've listened on many
different systems, and I always seem to pick up an overload at one point that
turns to static.
Ken