<<Renaldo and Clara  1978  (plays herself)>>

This is a Bob Dylan documentary/concert film...Joni appears as she was a part of the
Rolling Thunder Revue.

<<Love  1982  (plays Paula)>>

This was a film made up of short subjects...from JM.com:

"After spending a few weeks writing a script, choosing the soundtrack, and preparing
for her film acting debut, Joni went to Toronto in December 1980 to film her segment
as part of a film anthology called "Love". The 9 stories in the movie were all written
by women, and they each concerned themselves with the stated subject of love in its
many forms. Others involved in the film in addition to Joni were Edna O'Brien, Lady
Antonia Fraser, Penelope Gilliatt, Gale Greene, Nancy Dowd, Liv Ullmann, and Mai
Zetterling, who directed her own segment, Edna O'Brien's, and Joni's.

Joni's 14 1/2 minute vignette presented her as a black male pimp named "ART NOUVEAU",
dressed in the same drag she wore on the cover of 1977's "DON JUAN'S RECKLESS
DAUGHTER". Joni originally came up with this character when she had to create a
persona for a Halloween party. The soundtrack she chose for herself was mostly Miles
Davis music, as she told her hometown paper at the start of the project: "My vision of
the relationship between the soundtrack and the visuals is very precise. The character
I play, for instance, is a Miles Davis fan, and he carries the soundtrack around with
him on a big portable cassette player".

Joni also contributed the title song "Love", played over the opening credits, which
she wrote setting the words of a poem from Corinthians to her music.

The film's producers kept extending the release date further and further, a year, then
2 years. As late as 1985 there were still rumblings about a release, but as far as I'm
aware, the completed film has never to this day had even one showing in theaters. I
have had word of "Love" being shown during small film festival weekends."

Bob, playing catch-up...

NP: TMBG, "Ana Ng" 2/21/97