After my last post was so emotionally wrenching, now for something
completely different: Spider-man!

And there is a hyphen in that word, according to the movie!

I got 2 tickets for today, actually could have seen it last night in a
special sneak preview but I choose last night to see Y Tu Mama Tambien,
and actually those movies do cover some of the same material, at least
in terms of angst.

I got the 2nd ticket for my grandson, but it turned out he had other
plans (I am sure made my mom since we have been talking about Spider-man
for a long time) so I went alone and it actuually was a bit tough to
just give away my extra ticket.  No one wanted to believe me that I was
offering a free ticket.

And let me tell you, seeing all those ill behaved children in the
theatre lobby and in the theatre, I was very thankful that my grandson
is mine, he has his wild side, but he is also a gentleman.  And he
doesn't get up and go up and down the aisle 18 times during the course
of a movie, like the kids next to me did.  A cardinal rule of mine: you
do everything you need to do and you load up on whatever, popcorn, pop,
before the movie begins and you never, ever not watch the movie from
beginning to end.

Anyway,. Spider-man itself - it has more than enough plot holes - hey,
two people live next door to each other for so long and act like they
have never talked before?  You were never both in the backyard at the
same time?  C'mon, sometime between 1st grade and high school you
spoken to Kirsten Durst--- and girl, you are hanging by a web thread
connected to a cable car full of children, all about to fall in the East
River, and Spider-man is saving you in a life and death battle with the
Green Goblin, and you are thinking of Peter Parker?

And some of the scenes were a bit cheesy, the fact that so much was
filmed against a blue screen rather than on location was actually
distracting to me.

The movie was basicly done before September 11th and the scenes of
buildings collapsing in NYC (and yes, the World Trade Center is there,
they couldn't edit that out totally) were a bit tough.   One of my
friends has an original Spiderman poster in which the WTC was reflected
in his eyes, posters that were yanked last fall, but they just couldn't
edit it all out of the movie.  And then they added a gratutious scene
(you mess with one of us, you mess with of all us) that flew right over
the audience's heard, I suppose it was intended to make us cheer, but it
failed, it was obviously added on, and there is a flag at the end that
wasn't there on September 10th in the edit room.

And gees, could it be more obvious that there is a sequel coming?  They
might as well have labeled this, Part One.   They were setting up the
sequel half way through the movie.

That all aside, go see it!  It was wonderful!  The action scenes - and
that is what you go for after all - were stunning, certainly far better
than I expected, and that is where the movie budget must gone, and was
it worth it!  It really is a romantic comedy with this stunning action -
keeps the romantic comedy part of the movie from being too much, and it
keeps the movie from being Die Hard, it was just the right balance of a
little of this, a little of that.

The actors are perfectly cast, and it was well acted, and well
directed.  I am not a fan of action movies, but I was eager all through
Spider-man to see what the next action sequence would be, and each one
was better than the one before.   Spidey swoops through the caverns of
Manhatten, a visual delight.  Willem Dafoe played the villian Green
Goblin in a way that added so much depth and character, actually
underplayed in a scene or two which made other contrasts more vivid.  At
no time watching this movie did I feel that I was watching a cartoon
with cartoon characaters.  The plot might have holes, but the characters
didn't.   All of the lead actors were excellent.

Superman was always just so wholesome.  Batman was always so dark.  This
Spider-man avoids both of those pitfalls.  Plot holes aside, it still
plays well enough, I could believe this kid suddenly finding himself
witth these spider powers, and the delight that he takes in discovering
what he can do was so real to what a kid would do.  (And thankfully the
movie avoids any sexual innuendo other than Kirsten Durst in a wet
shirt, and that is cool because when I do take the grandson, it is just
nice sometimes not to have to deal with that.  And it avoids that
without being so wholesome you want to puke.)

The rumored steaming kiss was not as charged as I had been led to
believe, but it was a great movie kiss anyway, and thankfully as we last
glimpse Kirsten Durst she is touching her lips and recognizing who just
kissed her again...

I actually can't wait to see Spider-man again.  It will be on his
mother's head when Gage learns that I had opening day tickets and he
didn'tt get to go.  But we have a rule between us that we can a movie as
many times as want, there is nothing wrong with seeing a movie again and
again, and this is one of the most enjoyable films that I will see in
this period in which we see so many movies that are kid-ok.  I do want
to see those action sequences again, and for me, that is rare.
Spider-man is not the original Star wars category, and it sure is not as
overwhelming as Lord of the Rings was, this was paced and you gotta see
Spidey deal with bullies at school... Spidey going to a wrestling match
--Spidey swooping through NYC... this was just so much fun.

And there even is a moral: it answers the question, "I missed the part
where this is my problem."

For a night you want to go and have fun and relaz and be entertained,
this is the film.  I got a sneak peak briefly at the new Star Wars
yesterday and that will be more LOTR style, constant coming at you, and
that will be cool, too, it looks very good, the best since the original
from what little I saw, but Spider-man is a perfectly fun and relaxing,
great action flick!

(the Rev) Vince