Mike wrote:

> To say that Britney Spears is a greater songwriter and singer than Joni
> Mitchell is an idiotic remark.

John responded:

> ??? By which standards???
> >Anyone who manages to get the entire world to sing "Oops ... " must be a
> >fabulous songwriter by my standards.

And Tim rejoinded with:

> Ahem. I think this phenomenon shows that someone is a fabulous marketer,
> not that the tunesmith of "Oops ... " is a fabulous songwriter. And does
> Britney Spears write her own songs?

A Max Martin and someone named Rami (a one word name like Bono or Sting, I
guess) co-wrote toe song, and I know that because I bought the cd.

I think the phenomenon shows that "Oops" is simply a great pop song and Britney
is certainly a top pop singer of the day.

After you've done as many aerobics classes as I have with this song being one
of the numbers used, you'd learn to love it too.  Singing along enables proper
breathing during serobics...

...which is how I also know all the words to Material Girl, Beautiful Stranger,
Ray of Light, and Don't Impress Me Much (Madonna, Madonna, Madonna, Shania
Twain).

You should hear my aerboics versions of Be My Lover by La Bouche, The Bomb
(These Sounds Fall in My Head) by Buckethead, What is Love by Haddaway, and my
personal all time favorite, Mr. Vain by Culture Beat (sample lyric: I know what
I want and I want it now, cuz I'm Mr Vain).

There are days when you are all posting about (I think the totally fictional)
Jonatha Brooks or some dude singing some song that I have no clue what it is
but I know I would know if I were cultured,  and I am sitting at the computer
singing "I like to move it, move it" by Reel to Real featuring  the Mad
Stuntman,  that I know my musical tastes are de classe in the extreme.

But every song has its place, no?    Britney doesn't pretend to be more than
what she is, a pop singer, and for her genre, she has passed the audition.  And
she has some great pop songs.

It is possible to lie Britney for what she is, and like Joni for what she is,
and like so many different types of music!  Someone just turned me on to Johnny
Eat World (great name for a group...)  and since I already have all the Joni
that there is, Johnny Eat World may be my next purchase.  Anyway, we need all
the different types of music from all  the various levels of musicians to make
the sound of the universe whole, and to make the world sing.

(the Rev) Vince

NP: Linda Worster, Right Here, Right Now, about the 5th time that I have played
it today, and now this is the first post that ever mentioned both Linda and
Britney! :-)