> "Ring of Fire" -- Johnny Cash
>

> I did this song at the last wedding I played.  It was a special request
by the bride and groom.  Had them all dancing around in a ring.  Of course
it then took me three months to get paid but that's a whole other story.

I had to play at a memorial service a few years ago.  I played "Orphan
Girl" Gillian Welch because it was my friends favorite song.  I also chose
Grateful Dead "Ripple" which to me, captures the whole idea of death better
than any song I have ever heard.

"There is a road,
No simple highway.
Between the dawn and the dark of night.
And if you go,
Noone may follow.
That path is for your steps alone.

Ripple in still water
Where there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow

You who chose,
To lead must follow.
But if you fall, you fall alone.
If you should stand,
Then who's to guide you?
If I knew the way,
I would take you home.
La la la la..."
                        excerpt from "Ripple" (Garcia/Hunter)

footnote:  several weeks later, I went to see Gillian Welch and David
Rawlings in Atlanta.  She played "Orphan Girl" and made a special
dedication to my friend Andy, who died from cancer.