I don't think I can agree with this either. World music as a genre is
getting huge in the US.  British music practically took over in the 70's-
Yes, ELP, Tull, Floyd, et al....I was a definite fan!
There are literally hundreds of Reggae festivals every summer drawing
huge crowds and featuring Jamaican musicians. Celtic music is pretty
big. Hawaiian music is big. I went to a Brazilian music concert in
San Francisco that was sold out, probably a couple thousand people,
and they have them regularly. Shakira. Julio Iglesias. All them Eye-
talian operas. Vanessa Mae, The Gypsy Kings, Bjork....I think there
is quite alot of diversity. If anything, as someone mentioned, many of
our own fine jazz musicians do not get the recognition they deserve.
True, the mainstream Top 20 is often a bore, but 'twas ever thus.
RR