Lama wrote:

> My problem was I couldn't find the exact wording that I remembered so
> clearly from my Episcopalian confirmation days.

Vince had previosuly written:

> ou would probably find that  "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away" as a
> phrase in those precise words is found in old English books of common
> prayer.  I define as "old" as Reformation era and later, through
> the varous editions of prayer books in the 1500s and 1600s.

Aha!  Episcopalian confirmation days!  That would lend support to my belief
that you'll find that phrase in liturgy as opposed to Scriptures (and I should
note Brenda's citation from Job was exactly right, the source of the liturgical
phrase, especially in that Job also is the source for "I know that my redeemer
lives..." which is another liturgical staple, especially in funerals, where the
Lord giveth phrase is used.)  The original text may have been penned by Cranmer
or adapted by him from elsewhere .

Beginning during the reign of Edward VI, the Church of England started
producing prayer books which were modified repeatedly over the next 100 years
as the various fortunes of the reformers waxed and waned.  If one (not me!)
were to look in the 1549 Prayer Book, the 1552 revision, the 1559 primer, 1560
Latin edition tranlsated back to English, 1662 book - or the 1789 American
edition of the book of common prayer, or 1892 revision, or myriad others you
will find it somewhere, I am sure.

But Anglicans are perfectly capable of fussing from prayer book to prayer book
over whether they say "in the joyful expectation of eternal life with those
they love" vs "in the sure expectation of a joyful reunion in the heaveny
places"  so if you researched this out far enought you would have your doctoral
thesis!  (Lutherans say, "in a sure and certain hope..." and  with such minor
changes have the churches occupied themselves through the years., kind of
arguning Joni lyrics sometimes!)

Just came from prayers with one who is dying.  Will be our second parsih death
in two days.   I just kind of free-formed a lot of the liturgy today, while
yesterday used the book and the exact wording, and somehow it all comes out
about the same.

(the Rev) Vince