Although the only albums I don't have of Joni are STAS and DJRD, I think
that her voice's peak was during the time of MINGUS. The agility when
combined with the darkening of her tone color (?) is heady stuff. Although
most people I know consider MINGUS her worst album (MINGUS is my second
favorite album next to HOSL), I think the singing is topnotch and made
even more apparent that her voice can be seen as a jazz instrument with
its many hues.
Like the late 80s-era Ella, Joni's voice in BSN have a limited range but
the improvisational quality remains blue chip.
joseph
np: anita baker "fairy tales"