Conjecture for sure but I don't and never felt that this tune and the words
therein  were anything even remotely related to that film and the message
that it portrayed.  Personally, the song always touched me somewhere inside
because I felt as if I was living it somehow.  The hot sun beating down on
the South (another day going by and it, like the next, is nothing but
another day), the farm and the life that one lives on that farm, the
idiosyncrasies involved in living deep in the country (far away from anyone
else), someone is in trouble.  Hard to explain but I would imagine that all
Southern rural people felt it too.  As for the flick and Robbie Benson
jumping off of the bridge; well, being in that predicament in a place like
that and in that day and age, then off the bridge would probably be the
place to go.  Down here (in the Protestant churches) it is taught that being
homosexual is nothing less than the worst one can be, akin to bestiality and
the such.  Hated the movie but did enjoy, very much, Glynnis O'Connor's
portrayal.  She very much reminded me of my high school girlfriend, that I
set free as to not put her through that, anymore than I already had.  Could
not let her waste any more time, passion, or love on me, knowing that I
could never return it to her.  Teenage angst, homosexual teenage angst;
wanting to, trying so hard but knowing that it would never come.  And it
never could.  Interesting that Gentry has never said one way or the other.

mack