I feel a bit uncomfortable emerging from lurkdom with such a confrontational
post. But only a bit, so here goes.
First up, I'm not a fan of Neil Young. After The Gold Rush bores me and "My
My Hey Hey/Rock and Roll is here to stay:" doesn't strike me as breaking
through the wall material, either musically or lyrically.
So he now opines that "trained" - i.e., literate - musicians - can't break
through the wall as he is so proud of doing. I wonder if he's ever listened
to Bartok's String Quartets, Stravinsky's Sacre du Printemps, Boulez's Le
Marteau sans Maitre, or any of a few dozen or so twentieth-century
masterworks. Hell, I wonder if he's ever listened to anything by Bach,
Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert, all of whom sound like avant-garde composers
compared to him!
As for Joni, she gives me a royal pain in the ass with her fetish for
"originality" and her self-importance. I love her work because during the
1970s she really excelled in matching words to music. Even Mingus is a work
of genius. But in terms of harmony, there is nothing in Joni's music that
would have seemed strange in the 16th century. The 14th century would have
found her music very conservative.
After Shadows and Light, try as I have since I joined the list, I find her
albums tiresome and strained, with the partial exception of Night Ride Home
(three cuts) and Turbulent Indigo (two).

Patrick Leader's post about dancing and architecture really woke me up.

Yup, I'm back, for better or worse ;-)

Roberto