I've been reading Emotionally Weird by Kate Atkinson recently.  It's set at
Dundee University sometime in the 70's there are quite a few music references
- normally what is playing in various student flats.

To put it in context, the narrator has a boyfriend, Bob, with disgusting
habits and a filthy flat, but she has problems leaving him.  It's one of those
situations that's more inertia than a relationship.

pg 107

"An important part of my leaving-Bob daydream was the place I would live in
without him - an uncluttered white space full of nothing but me.  And perhaps
a coffee table.  And a bowl of perfect green apples.  Joni Mitchell on the
stereo.  A white rug."

Rob