In a message dated 7/14/02 1:13:32 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< thanks, but there hasn't been a wild sighting of a grizzly in california
for

years.  incidentally, black bears can climb trees and run up to 15mph.

pepper spray?  i don't think so.  years and years ago backpacker magazine

did a study and found out if you have an attacking bear all pepper spray

does is piss the bear off more.  >>

Um, yeah, no grizzly's in CA since the '20's, I think -- that's what tipped
me off that it was a joke, but good point -- somebody might take it
seriously.  Probably better to throw the bell(s) at the bear and pepper-spray
yourself.  The bell might puzzle or distract the bear, and your screaming and
writhing will probably put him/her off further.

Best to all,

Walt