Erica Trudelle wrote:

> My husband and I are "co-reading" this book right now (The Dancing Wu Li
> Masters).....we just came across a section about the wondrously
> inconceivable narure of the universe, ...
>      "No one knows, They can never get that close..Guesses as most."
> I know that "Sweetbird" has been analyzed many many times but I just have to
> add my 2 cents. This line has been ringing in my head for DAYS now. I was
> just wondering if anyone else has read this book?

Yes, it was one of my favorites back in college, 25 years ago, along
with Carlos Castenada's books and "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance". They were very popular books at the time and I think they
all had an influence on Joni. What I recall mostly about the Dancing Wu
Li Masters and its description of then-current discoveries in physics is
that there's no such thing as pure objectivity, that the outcome of any
experiment depends on the observer. Different observer, possibly
different outcome, even in controlled experiments. That realization had
repercussions throughout society, as scientific discoveries usually do.
Joni's lyrics often mention not truly knowing anything unless it's part
of one's own experience, otherwise it's just guessing. Such
"personal-ness" seems obvious to us now, but thinking back to songs of
the 50s and earlier, I don't think those writers, or people in general,
had such an awareness.

Debra Shea

NP: Sloan Wainwright, Unseen Guide