>From today's Washington Post:

A Day that Will Live in TV Infamy
By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, August 1, 2002; 8:05 AM

Are you ready for 9/11: The Sequel?

We're not talking about another terrorist attack. We're talking about the anniversary
of the first one.

In case you hadn't heard, there's going to be a big media blowout. Huge. Vast.
Massive. Inescapable.

Will we maybe, just possibly witness the unedifying spectacle of the media going
overboard?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Sure, it's important to remember the victims of terrorism and the enormity of the
event (although we've never been a big fan of media-driven anniversary stories). But
with the coming avalanche of headlines and hours of television coverage, are we going
to be subjected to the endless images of the towers collapsing again, like a horror
film that just keeps on replaying all day long?

Will the media be covering the news or just manipulating our emotions for ratings
share?

----

More here:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30277-2002Aug1.html

----

As for me, I'll be turning the TV off that day.  Won't you join me?

Lori

~