>my latest interpretation is that the conneseuir(sp?) of beauty says
>anything
>he can to get the lady to turn down her bed - i'm dead, i'm not dead, don't
>love me, please love me now, etc. etc. - very sophisticated way for joni to
>describe a simple pick up situation.
>its a haunting, beautiful song with an old english feel to it.
>there are live performances on cd and video - just ask bob:)

I searched a bit in the JMDL library for any words from Joni on TG, but to
no avail.

This song could be about one individual or many a men that Joni has crossed
paths with or has not crossed paths with.

Josephine?  And Erica, it is not he that can live without her.  It is
Josephine who cannot be without him.....big difference.   (Whenever I hear
the name Josephine I think of Napoleon )

But poor Josephine is one of many woman who have been charmed...bedded by
him.   (Your mail comes here from everywhere.....the writing looks like
ladies)

The last two lines:  But now their faces follow me......And all their eyes
look shady

Where once she was enamored..smitten....she is now, oh...a bit
disgusted.....knows him for what he truly is.  (nothing is any good)

Bree

NP:  Joni...The Gallery