Hello, my dear fellow human beings!

As you all know, the first anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks is
nearly upon us.  A while ago I was asked to participate in something called
the September Concert, which is a New York City-wide musical commemoration
of those events.  After feeling very ambivalent about the prospect of
performing music on that day, I have decided to participate.  I have
concluded that the best way for me to honor the friends I lost that day,
and the best way for me personally to process this anniversary, is to
engage in living my life, doing the thing I love most.  Luckily for me, the
activity I love most is playing music; and since music is the most sublime
and powerful vehicle on this earth for moving our hearts, and for creating
peaceful congregation amongst us, I do feel that performing music on
September 11th is an appropriate way to mark the occasion.  I feel honored
to have been asked to play.

With that being said, I have chosen to invite you all just to give you an
option for coming together on that day in a cozy public space filled with
friendly people, live music and cheap drinks.  I am in no way suggesting
that anyone "should" come down to hear me.  Everyone has to deal with that
day in the way they feel most comfortable.  I have chosen to do this in
large part to surround myself with other people and thereby remind myself
that I am grateful still to have my life -- otherwise, I would probably
hide under the covers all day.  And that would be a crappy way to spend the
day.

There are many, many venues throughout the city involved in the September
Concert (for more information, please check out www.septemberconcert.org).
I will be playing a few songs between 6pm and 7pm (sorry I can't be more
specific) at The Baggot Inn.  The Baggot Inn is located at 82 West 3rd
Street, btw Thompson and Sullivan.  The West 4th Street stop is the closest
subway station.  The doors open at 5pm, and the concert lasts until 8pm.
There is no cover charge.

I have not yet decided what I will play, but I do know that I will try to
embrace the uplifting and will most certainly eschew the maudlin.  In the
spirit of celebrating life, and in the belief that laughter is the best
medicine, I may even attempt to answer Frank Zappa's eternal question,
"Does humor belong in music?"

If you can be there, I will be happy to see you.

Peace,
Kay Ashley