----- Original Message -----
  From: Sarah Cartwright
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 2:13 PM
  Subject: Re: Joni only

  Fantastic to hear your views, LOTC was the 1st one I bought and I think
sub-consciously you do tend to use your 1st as a kind of benchmark. I was so
amazed when I listened to THOSL and Hejira, soo different in style to what I
was used to. There are still a few songs that just 'don't do it for me' at all
e.g.The jungle line ( I have read a few similar posts about that one!), the
song Hejira, shadows & light. But as Laurent says it is a matter of personal
taste. Now I'm starting to learn more about Joni's life through the book
Shadows & Light, it is fascinating to learn what was happening in her life
when she was writing a particular song / album. Its like looking at a painting
when you know about the artist's life, it makes it all the more compelling and
magnetic.

  I do find it incredible that one song can literally make the hairs on the
back of my neck stand up and the  next leaves me cold.  I am absolutely
obsessed with A Strange Boy at the moment ( I have noticed this happens with
Joni - it was The Priest / For Free in LOTC),  quite literally need to listen
to it at least 5 times a day!!!! such sexy instrumentals.

  Hi Sarah

  I've noticed over the years that the songs I like at first on a CD are often
not my favorites after a few listens. Perhaps they were "easy access" but turn
out to lack the complexity that makes one discover new things at each
listening.  Conversely, songs I never cared for may just "click" on the 10th
listen.   Then again some songs I'll like forever, Strange Boy is one of
them.
  Be careful not to OD though.  You can get too much of a good thing.
  What else do you listen to?

  Laurent