> <<Brian Ferry also recently made an album of standards.  Any idea
> who started this trend, was it Joni or not?>>
>
> Rickie Lee recorded "Pop Pop" in 1991 and "Girl at Her Vaolcano"
> in 1992, and they both contained scads of standards (some of them
> not-so-standard, even!) and even sold a few copies, to boot.
>
> Cindy

Amng those who recorded "standards albums", I particularly like Sinead
O'Connor's AM I NOT YOUR GIRL album. She was good in some songs like the
Marilyn Monroe "I Want To Be Loved By You"; her "Bewitched" eclipsed
whoever gave a definitive version; and her "Why Don't You Do Right" was
swinging.

I also liked Scottish singer Sheena Easton's NO STRINGS album. She gave
near definitive versions of "How Deep is the Ocean" and "The Nearness of
You". And her bebop vocalese c/o "Moody's Mood for Love" was delightfully
inventive. Produver and pianist Patrice Rushen should also be thanked.

Joseph
np: Betty Carter "East of the Sun and West of the Moon"