[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Probably the more likely connection is the phrase "American Beauty" which
describes the specific rose as well as the Mena Suvari character. However,
I do think Joni's phrase merits some further examination...I would imagine
that it would be some precarious modeling to be "naked in the roses", what
with thorns and such. ;~)

imho, American Beauty, the film asks us to look closer...at the notion of beauty,
American Beauty, and what that *is* and what that means to the person who is doing the
observing. American Beauty may refer to the not so happily ever after  life behind the
white picket fence to the Amercian Beauty as in  the rose, or the American Beauty, as
in the image of Mena Suvari, a stereotypical beauty (certainly in her own mind,
surrounded by beauty (the rose(s).

to me, among other things, this film is about perception and illusion.
Challenging/examining the meaning of beauty in general and (the)(an) American
Beauty(s) in particular.

I like seeing the film through the eyes of Ricky Fitz. Speaks volumes to me. Never
underestimate the power of denial. Oh yea.

I have no idea if the people behind this film are Joni fans or not...the parallel
between this film and the images that Joni has painted lyrically and in our minds
opens doors to more ponderings/discussion. I love that about this list.

 And the discussions they go round and round.

Mags

np: on xpn, constant craving

You open my heart, you do.
Yes you do.