On a roughly comparable dollar to pound ratio, I pay about the same
approximate 40% percentage out of my paycheck directly for Federal, State,
SS and other taxes.  That's before the additional 10% sales tax I pay on
nearly everything, the 40% sin taxes on some items and on gasoline, the
taxes and fees on my phone, cable and utility bills, etc.  There are no tax
breaks or write-offs I can take to reduce my taxes.  If I bought a property,
I could save some in Federal taxes, but a lot of what I saved would be taken
in property taxes and related assessments.

Kakki