"If I bought a property,I could save some in Federal taxes, but a lot of
what I saved would be taken in property taxes and related assessments."

that is the way to go alright...if you could manage it because you would
saving in taxes & be able to invest that money in your property which as an
investment would hopefully, (most likely) appreciate...getting the funds to
afford the downpayment, aye there is the rub...

npimh- its in the land scarlett...