we've been talking about the wonderful quality of joni's voice on this
recording, in spite of the bell jar sound due to the tape hiss being
removed...in my researching for things to say for our joni tribute i came
across this gem which i think helps to explain her vocal sound...btw, i have
tried this at a friends house who had a baby grand & a cool echoing
room...its really fun...

Joni talking about recording STAS with Crosby:

One of the things that we did that was kind of fun because of what had to
be done to clean up the tape, a lot of it was lost, he had me sing a lot of
it into a grand piano with the ringing pedal down.  So every note I sang
repeated itself in the strings. If you sing into a grand piano, the notes on
the strings reproduce the sound of your voice, thats the amazing thing. It
was so beautiful.  He had so many ideas. He was really good.<<