False Alarm?
Corned Beef Rehash?
Orc-castration?

What happened while I was gone?
Call me crusty, but I don't think her intention was to pen a new Rhapsody in Blue. Or revisit In the Hall of the Mountain King. Or even tell new Tales of the Piney Woods. Nor does she, I believe, have her sights set on being the next premier song stylist in the jazz arena. And certainly she ain't gunnin' for the next Tommy award. Not with Travelogue. Probably not ever. She pays a high price for her dilettantism, time after time.
Funny (to me, your own eyes may glaze), but once again I was fooled. Having always loved the purr of Otis & Marlena ..."sl e e e a zing by the s e e a"... I couldn't help but be thrown by the sheer pluck of this revisit. Both literally and figuratively. That was the first listen. Now, older and wiser after 36 hours and several Expectationless listens, well, go head and finish my thought. Happens to me so often you'd think I'd be accustomed to...
The pluck is what I now cannot get out of my head. Spinning out on her turns, for me, has always come farther down the road.
And so it goes, as I've played The Dawntreader, Flat Tires, and the nine others I've heard thus far. I shudder to think how fine these will sound through my home speakers. Reference the subject line should analogies fail you.
Who knows? Maybe I'll grow weary after a month or so. And maybe Kakki will vote Democrat-ic, Bob will utter an unkind word, and Colin will manufacture overseas. Stranger things have happened.
jeff