Ronald wrote:

But you don't admire her for her writing or composing. She
> can't play a lick on any instrument as far as I know. You admire her
because
> she has recreated herself over and over again.

I am a Madonna fan.  Not a huge one but do like her music nevertheless.  I
do admire her for what she has accomplished though not for the above written
reason.  I admire that she has put herself out there and has not allowed
others ideas, perceptions, and limitations stop her from doing what she
wanted to do.  She is no hypocrite and I admire that.  As for not playing an
instrument, that is apples and oranges and as far as I know, Joni Mitchell
can't dance.  No, she is no Joni Mitchell but then again Joni Mitchell is no
Madonna.  Just depends on who's listening and what they are
listening/looking for.

 Compare "Die Hard" to "A Clockwork Orange"? If he has seen both,
> Josh may think are great action flicks, but can't understand why the bad
guy
> wasn't disposed of in Kubrick's flick.  Die Hard was much more satisfying.
> Compare "Like a Virgin" with "Shades of Scarlett Conquering"?  "Holiday"
> "Edith and the King Pin"?  Come-on!  Don't even go there!

Again, apples and oranges.   Those fans of 'Diehard' are diehard fans and
would not begin to bother with Kubrick.  One thing I have learned is that
what I believe is not necessarily right and what I feel is the best,
whatever that may be, is only my opinion.  Doesn't make it so.  All depends
on the perception.

 on Hallmark cards

I would imagine that those who write those cards think each and every one is
a masterpiece, and they well might be.

JMor some new
> artist out there who can affect him as JM has many of us. But I wouldn't
bet
> on it.

Well, of course he may as many have and though they may be artists we find
subpar, they might lead him to the catharsis of his life.

mack