> > is an orchestra supposed to swing? (rhetorical question)
> >

> I personally tend to suscribe to Duke Ellington's famous theory: "It don't
> mean a thing if it ain't got that swing".
>
> sure but isn't that for a jazz band?

Hi Kate,

I have a feeling that swingin' applies to a lot more music styles, not just
jazz.  Perhaps the professional musicians in this list could help since my
music theory knowledge is very limited.  It seems to me that the difference
between a boring and a non-boring music delivery has to do with where the
beat is in relation to the rest.  And isn't that also the definition of
swing/groove?  I can't express clearly concepts I don't master, but in
essence this would mean that without a heartbeat music is "dead".

Help!

Laurent