Debra comments:

Franklin Shea wrote: I do recognize that the opposite of love is hate.

Debra> Is it? I've always thought of indifference as the opposite of love. At
least with hate there's still some emotional involvement. Not so with indifference.
Franklin> You have a very provocative point there. In the sense that true love is healing, uplifting, spiritually enchanting in its nature - I still think of hate as being the polar opposite: harming, down-trodding, and spiritually demoralizing/suffocating (ironically - for one who hates as well as the hated). But indifference is certainly a "first cousin" in there somewhere. I realize that some hate is often just a "fractured" relative of love in the sense that they both require the energy implicit in emotional commitment.

Indifference, on the other hand, is in many respects, the ultimate abandonment; sort of the social/emotional equivalent to death. I have personally experienced situations where I preferred being "hated" by someone I cared about rather than emotionally ignored (strange but true). Yet again, I'd prefer indifference to the type of hatred that produces violence (physical, emotional, spiritual or otherwise). In my end analysis they can both be very brutal and life-deflating/defeating.

Debra>Franklin, I don't know where you got the idea that insulting remarks are
the normal way of writing here, unless it's the banter between the Bobs
and, to a newcomer, I guess that could look like serious stuff. It's
not. It's jesting and jousting between long-time friends, and I find the
"competition" affectionate and very funny, rude though it may seem sometimes.
Franklin> I did not intend to portray the "insulting remarks" comment as normal on this site, and apologize if it came out that way. Sometimes though, banter can be misconstrued as "insulting remarks" and vice versa. It certainly helps to know the participants and the context... I also agree that countering innuendos and insulting remarks with similar ammunition simply escalates confrontation. Some lessons are only learned the hard way, for me anyway.

Debra> People sometimes get into heated arguments here about ideas, but
generally try to avoid personal insults, and for the most part are
successful in doing that. Aiming for such respect is one of the great
things about this list, along with learning about new music and knowing
months in advance if there's even a hint of an upcoming Joni concert.
That's especially important to me since I signed on to make sure I'd
never miss a concert again, as I did in the 80s. This list experience
has turned out to be much more than that.
Franklin> I want to more consistently succeed at that also. Most of the people here seem like such life-affirming, interesting, wonderful folk. Thank you for your fine thoughts. I appreciated them. Where are you from, if I might inquire? Perhaps (no cringing now) we are related. Is Shea your maiden name or married? Do you know which county in Ireland your Shea's came from? Mine hail from Kilkenny. There are a lot of Shea's in Iowa, Nebraska, particularly the Chicago area... all over no doubt. BTY - you're awfully polite for Irish... lol I'm going to give that "Dark to the Heart" a listen after the sincere, enthusiastic recommendation... thanks. I'll weigh in after a few listens.

Blessings be to thee
Franklin
NP Eric Clapton - "August" (very nearly "no-filler" - smile)

Debra Shea

P.S. Is everyone saving their pennies for the Joni tour Moni mentioned?
Seeing her this time is going to be expensive...

NP: Bruce Cockburn's "Dart to the Heart". Took me a long time and lots
of mentions of Cockburn on this list before I was willing to give his
music a try, and am glad I finally did. This is a wonderful cd.