Bob wrote:

> Well Hell, you might be the only one to hesitate...Bonnie had 2
lackluster,
> poor-selling records behind her (Green Light & Nine Lives) and a problem
with
> alcoholism when she exploded back on the scene with Nick of Time, and then
> locked in with 2 more solid releases.
> Santana was certainly putting out product, but it was just a lot of
> guitar/spiritual noodling - not that I (or many others) heard much of it.

It depends on your definition of the word "come-back".  To me, it applies to
someone who has left the music business for a time, then re-enters at a
later date, not someone who suddenly releases a "good" album.

> No doubt...Clive Davis @ Arista knows what he's doing and has the
> connections. BUT 'Supernatural' was also one damn fine record, and would
have
> been even if he'd have had the same vocalist on every track. I was not
> familiar with Matchbox 20's music or Rob Thomas' voice, but "Smooth" was
one
> of the best things on the radio all year.

Yes, but it was written by Rob Thomas, not Santana.  Lauren Hill's
contribution was written by Lauren Hill.  Dave Matthew's song was co-written
by Matthews and Santana.  Everlast's song was written by Everlast.  Wyclef
Jean's song was co-written by Wyclef Jean and Santana (among others).
Eagle-Eye Cherry's song was written by Eagle-Eye Cherry.  If not for those
artists, there would have been no album.  It may have been released as a
"Santana" album, but he contributed to the writing of only 7 of the 13
songs.

Hell
"To have great poets, there must be
great audiences too." - Walt Whitman