Thanks to all who have made me feel so welcome - I'm feeling cozy already!

Julius, I'm not sure there is a name for people who are interested in Canadian music,
but do keep in mind that, like the music of any nation, a lot of it is crap. There is
Celine Dion to contend with on the airwaves, after all, Alanis Morrisette and a whole
roster of other unmentionables.

The sad fact about Canada is that in order to be truly famous and recognized, even in
Canada, they have to conquer the U.S. and international market - otherwise we don't
take them seriously. Canadians have a very hard time with fame. We hate Canadians who
are famous in Canada, but if they're famous in the U.S. we LEAP to their defence and
proclaim our pride: "She's CANADIAN, you know!" Read: "She's ours, not yours - nya-nya
na-boo-boo." We suffer from a collective inferiority complex thanks to living next to
the most powerful and noisy nation on the planet, and we need validation from the
world in order to feel okay about ourselves. We're the nation that looks in the mirror
and asks other nations, "Do we look fat in this?"

Having said that, Canada has consistently been kind to Joni Mitchell. Even in the
beginning. Oh sure, she has her detractors here, like anywhere, but the general
consensus seems to be that she is one of the most important Canadian people, right up
there with Leonard Cohen, Neil Young and Oscar Peterson. She is honoured by our
governments, provincial and federal, and the arts community never misses an
opportunity to celebrate her, whether it's at the Mendel Gallery to exhibit her
paintings or small-time theatre groups organizing Joni theatre, like the Prairie
Theatre Exchange's "Joni Mitchell: River" and the Great Canadian Theatre Company's
"When All The Slaves Are Free," here in Ottawa.

CBC is also usually quite kind. Last year for Joni's birthday on a CBC radio program
there was a day-long celebration of her work, playing such songs as "Goodbye Porkpie
Hat," "Sisotowbel Lane" and "Comes Love" on FM radio! To make it all the more
glorious, each song was introduced by a Canadian personality: Jane Sieberry, Carol
Sheilds and the like.

There are always people in Canada who feel betrayed by artists who "defect" to the
U.S., but they don't have much choice. There is no such thing as "star maker
machinery" in Canada. This keeps Canadians real and grounded - we don't idolize people
the way a lot of Americans do; we're more likely to be comfortable meeting a
celebrity, calmly and rationally, since the idea of hyperventilating in front of them
and gushing about our undying love for them would be tasteless and rude - that's our
mentality. "Hey, they're just like us except they've got money and they're on TV a
lot. No biggie."

But not having that kind of support for the arts also prevents truly talented artists
from achieving wide recognition in our country without the help of the American
system.

In any case, Julius, anyone who knows about the introspective Canadians understands
that we're always overjoyed by a bit of positive attention from our great and powerful
neighbours to the south! As Sally Field would say, "They like us! They REALLY LIKE US!"

-Andrew