Hi folks, I don't normally cut & paste whole articles to the list, but given
the recent discussion about over-zealous lawyers, this article from the
Guardian today seems sadly apposite.  Great punch line too!

Azeem in London

Not that Bill Wyman
"I'm a total nobody," says Bill Wyman, a staff writer on the Atlanta
Journal-Constitution, "and this just doesn't make any sense. Rock writers
live for a star to notice them and when it happens they become bores who dine
out on it. I'll be dining out on this for weeks."

The subject of Wyman's dinner conversation will be the letter he received
recently from Howard Siegel at Pryor Cashman Sherman & Flynn, a Manhattan
legal firm representing former Rolling Stone Bill Wyman. The Atlanta Wyman
stands accused of misleading his public, who will, Siegel alleges, confuse
him with his bass-playing, restaurant-owning, Mandy Smith-marrying namesake.

Wyman has only one defence for this alleged "passing off" - he uses the name
he was born with. If anyone should be in the dock, it is his parents. He was
ready to suggest to Siegel that henceforth his pieces be bylined "Not That
Bill Wyman", but then he recalled that "The Real Bill Wyman" had been born
William Perks and had only changed his name to Bill Wyman in 1964 - three
years after the birth of Not That Bill Wyman. The Rolling Stones star was
using his name!

"I've been a writer for so long that people don't even mention my name any
more," says Not That Bill Wyman. "It's just not an issue." NTBW says there is
no possibility of confusion - he isn't English, doesn't play bass and has
never had the good fortune to date younger women.

NTBW thinks it may be a case of corporate lawyers pushing trademark
protection too far, but Siegel is unrepentant. "Some may construe this as
fair game for yet another bad lawyer joke," he says. "I can well understand
that reaction as an initial response to a request that one not use, or
clarify the use of, their own name. But the public policy interest in
avoiding consumer confusion must also be considered. Has it never occurred to
Mr Wyman the journalist that some of his readership might be confused when
reading an article on the Rolling Stones written by Bill Wyman? NTBW says he
intends to stick with Bill Wyman. "I've had a lot of lawyers offering to
represent me and saying they would be happy to work on a pro bono basis," he
says. "But if they did, I suppose the lead singer of U2 would sue me."